Thursday, March 7, 2013

What Works- Weight Loss Update

Are you wondering, 2 months later, if the ideas I posted still work?

I've lost 15 lbs so far. Let me restate that...I shed 15 lbs so far.  I KNOW where those pounds are- they are in what I am not eating anymore.  I'm heading to my goal weight by May, just in time for to see what summer clothes do not fit me anymore ;) 

What did this when I've steadily gained weight over the last 11 years with a couple of very unhealthy downturns here and there? The main credit and motivation I apply to God.  I was finally desperate enough to beg for His help to conquer this animal, not for vanity sake this time, but for health sake.  I want to be around a long time and I've not been able to keep up with my kids thus far.  With one graduating high school and 2 more almost there, it was a sad recognition and I will not get those years back.  My second reason that I took to God was the fact that it was extremely unhealthy for me to walk around every day loathing my own body.  I spent far too much time hating myself and knew that was a destructive attitude.  With everything I am, I want to be a God pleaser, and it went against the command to be thankful for 'all things.'  I could not be thankful for my body on my own, so I asked for a better attitude, even if I never changed on the outside.

When I approached weight loss in the past to see results in the mirror, I failed every time because my own confidence was based on my own efforts and a visual approach.  Without that motivation coming from the mirror every day, the other things that I needed to do did not last.  But, when my health is the main focus now, with God's help, the mirror and the scale are no longer my enemy and results are happening faster than I could have imagined. At this point, because I was 30 lbs overweight, the scale is my biggest motivator when I see a difference every day.  And when it doesn't show, I know why already when I had a larger feast day than usual in my log previously. When I then look in the mirror, I know that it will come eventually there too.  And it does... suddenly, some days... like today- where did my stomach go???

The tool that has been the underlying support for all this loss so fast, and really painlessly, is the Lose It App.  It was an easy habit to establish, to get on the app first thing and weigh in.  I then spend 5 minutes planning my meals and any exercise.  It is super easy and I know exactly where every calorie is coming from, so I make much better choices than if I didn't log.  I still eat whatever I am in the mood for, but because I am honest with my log, and I know anyone could see it, my cravings do not turn into binges anymore.  Early January before Lose It?? Yup, I ate whole bags of salt and vinegar chips in front of the computer.  If I have them, which is rare because my cravings have virtually disappeared, 15 or so now seems enough and definitely makes me feel the edge of yuck from all the junk in them.  Become my friend there and you can see everything I do (because I chose to show it- you don't have to). Exercise was a bit of a pressured thing until I started counting my very physical work as some.  Now I can do it on my days off and actually enjoy it.


A book that cemented my motivation is "Younger Next Year," by Chris Crowley.  He put into words the 'why' I need to get healthy, and NOW.   I can see the common philosophy of 'deterioration is normal' in so many people around me that it was scary.  If you read anything this year, read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment