Monday, March 31, 2014

Gel fireplace tools

Looking for better ways to do things with less money, sometimes takes ingenuity and a striking piece of luck.  I found how to make my own gel fuel in a previous post, saving 1/2 to 3/4 of the cost.  But to put those babies out, especially quickly, while meddling with a hot ceramic log in front of them, warm grate panels, and high flames, was more of a challenge.  I used my sister's idea of long handled pliers and the sterno tops to smother the flames, however, I am not as dexterous as she, it appears.  I dropped the tops to the side, back, and in between of the pots before I ever put a single one out- and that was in a moment of anxiousness because I lit 3 at once and the flames were dangerously high with all three going at once. I had an aha moment when I realized my wide mouth lids for canning offered much more surface area for both snuffing and holding.  However, I still was not great with the pliers; it felt much too clumsy if an emergency happened.  Looking online I found the real snuffers for gel fireplaces and was resigned that my ineptitude was going to put me out $20 for the sake of safety.  Being the procrastinator I am, I also didn't order it right away, and that was a blessing in disguise.  While gathering jars for my next home business project, I saw a neat little magnetic tool that was always on the shelf to lift lids out of boiling water. It turned out to be the perfect thing to pair with the large lids for snuffing needs, which is rare now that we usually shed a tear when the fire burns itself out on its own.  The best part?  It cost me all of 98 cents!  WOO HOO.  I love a deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment