Tuesday, March 19, 2013

What Works- 5 Minute Bread

I am promoting a process that Mother Earth News wrote on here.... I made a half-batch about a week ago because the last time I tried this, and forgot it on my counter with a full batch in a too-small pot. This is what happened.....

 
 
 Because I don't trust my memory to put it away after first rise, I wanted to be safe, so I chickened out and made a smaller batch.  I will make a bigger batch tonight because its all gone and I never want to be without almost-instant homemade bread again. 



Anyway, if you love sourdough like we do, you have to try this.  It is super easy, only uses four ingredients and no kneading.  It is ready to use right away or you can continue to use the refrigerated dough over the next 2 weeks.  It makes rolls and loaves that your family will rave about.  One of my daughters even traded some of her potatoes for another roll- and if you know her, you do NOT get between her and potatoes!  So give it a try and see how great it is.  You will never be timid to make your own bread again, or sigh at the process of kneading, rising, and rising again, etc.  Note: The first loaf, if baked right away, will be less sourdough flavored; it comes with age in the refrigerator.  Dough is much easier to handle if chilled overnight, as well. You can incorporate any herbs/cheese you like into the dough with each batch as you like before baking. Scroll through the pages to see more ideas... baking/storage info is on page 4 of the article above.

No comments:

Post a Comment